Thursday, June 11, 2009

Kiss or Kiss Kiss...That is the Question

I am advocate for embracing different cultures and I have definitely mumbled the words "when in Rome" from time to time. However, its not easy keeping track of numerous cultural traditions. Therefore, when you do like the locals but you are not a local, you run the risk of...doing it wrong. 

The most difficult cultural tradition for me to remember is the kiss on the check greeting. Some countries prefer one cheek, others prefer two cheeks, and then there is me who kind of lingers in between the one and two cheek kiss. I always wonder if my greeter feels as uncomfortable as I look. These customs usually leave me wondering things such as: How loud should my kiss be? Or, do I actually kiss the cheek or just make a kiss like motion in the general vicinity of the cheek? Quite honestly I can't really answer these questions because I haven't figured it out myself. Hopefully, however, I can clarify which countries prefer which technique. 

One Kiss
  • Argentina - One kiss on the right cheek but only if you have already met the person. If its your first meeting, you shake hands. This applies to both men and women.
  • Chile - Women receive and give one air kiss on the right cheek as a greeting and as a form of goodbye. 
Kiss, Kiss
  • Austria - After you get to know someone it is common to greet someone with an air kiss on each cheek. 
  • Brazil - If you are a woman and you are greeting your friends, you most likely will exchange air kisses on both cheeks, maybe even multiple times depending on how close of friends you are. 
  • France - When greeting friends and family the French usually kiss each check starting with the left side. Its usually a good idea not to initiate a kiss but be ready to respond if someone greets you this way. 
  • New Zealand - The typical greeting in New Zealand is a handshake. However, the traditional greeting amongst Maori people is called a hongi. Women are kissed once on the cheek and men press noses together with eyes closed while making a "mm-mm" sound. When in doubt just go with the handshake! 
  • Turkey - Close friends of either sex may kiss on each cheek in addition to giving a two handed handshake. When you greet elders it is customary to kiss their hand and touch it to your forehead. 
Kiss, Kiss...and then Another!
  • Belgium - If you know someone well, expect air kisses in the pattern of right cheek, left cheek, right cheek. 
  • Morocco - Members of the same sex often kiss their friends once on one cheek and twice on the other. 
  • The Netherlands - Close friends, although never two men, will kiss each other three times starting and ending with the left cheek. 
  • Switzerland - Always assume you are going to greet with a handshake. However, if you are greeted with a kiss on the cheek, expect three kisses. 

So there you have it! If you feel like this post opened the door to a million more questions then you are not alone. Trust me, I feel the same way! I left out some Western European countries because they don't have a specific kiss protocol.  Usually a handshake will suffice but amongst friends it is common to give multiple kisses. When greeting someone in the United Kingdom it can get awkward. Much like in the United States, people are introducing the one or two kiss technique. Therefore, there isn't a salutation norm so no one really knows if they should shake hands or go in for the kiss. 

My resource for this post is one of my favorite guidebooks, Behave Yourself! The Essential guide to International Etiquette. If I forgot a country, please leave a comment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment